Sunday, July 31, 2005

Cemetery Walking

We were going to Columbia SC, for other reasons, so I decided to go visit Elmwood cemetery and found the grave of the Universalist minister, Athalia Johnson Irwin. The last time I was at Elmwood, I went up to the office and asked where a plot was, and they gave me a map marked and off I went...
.... This time the office was closed. As we wondered around the cemetery (a pastime that both my wife and I enjoy), we concluded that the last time was during a special weekend sale (we both recall the big banners offering plots).
While we have great percentages of finding gravesites (we once drove past a likely cemetery spot, pulled over on a whim, and found a tombstone of one of my forbearers), Elmwood is one of those big big places.
Knowing the local library has a book to Elmwood, we drove there, and got the number of the area andt plot number and gravesite number (but noticed no map to numbers in the book)- and then after our meeting returned to Elmwood. We knew where areas 20 and 44 were, and we were looking for a site inbetween. But Elmwood doesn't list numbers on the roads, or in the plots themselves either -- after searching for where it may be, gave up and came home. (well, we went to a bookstore and dinner first)

After getting home - pulled out my map to discover, the numbers run in zig-zag
--- ok, so at least I know know about where it is, so the next time I should be able to find it.

and of course, will be able to pass the info on to others as well....
.. but obviously not all explorations result in completions!

No comments: