Thursday, August 03, 2006

What I've been up to...

I have been working on southern Universalist history, but instead of posting it here, I've been helping folks with their projects.... 1) southern Universalist Spirtualists - I found two they didn't know about. 2) Universalism in Washington County, Georgia. I found some things that the person doing the work didn't know - but they knew a lot more than I, and had done some great research! I certainly have no qualms about printing my own research - and have permission to quote from #2, but since they both might be publishing projects, so I won't for right now. I've been doing some more looking at the father and son team of southern ministers. I also refreshed my memory on what is the longest lasting non-theological achievement of Southern Universalism -- and since this achievement has a webpage, it is probably the easiest way for folks to hear that Universalists were indeed in the south! I'm not going to say what this achievement is - yet - although I will give a few clues by saying that some modern UUs will be offended by the whole idea of being affiliated with it, even historically! Not enough hints, but if you know what it is, you will know why that is so true - and if you know the old southern psyche, then you know why it is such a fitting fit. Any guesses?

1 comment:

Steven Rowe said...

and of course, Scott could name that tune in three beats......