Friday, April 28, 2006

Plans and other stuff

Ok, Ive been digesting alot of stuff recently, from Canon Ga ((it seems that Rev. J.M. Bower's older brother - 24 years older brother- a Church of Christ minister, was one of two voters in Georgia to vote for Abe Lincoln in 1860 - he credited his father with his thinking that way)) to re-reading the book on Unitarians in the pre-1860s south - which includes the two Unitarian -Universalist churches in Richmond and New Orleans, which led me to reading the Richmond part of the biography of one of the ministers there. Also a recent military history spends a couple pages talking about Marie Boozer (Feaster). The new Universalist Hearld came in. The Universalists had a church building in Mobile Al in the 1830s.

My plans eventually are to learn HTML coding, and put up a nice website (i have a free one from google - which is mostly blank), I then will have States and Churches and Ministers and Layity all nicely hyperlinked (does calling it hyperlinked show my age??) together, so that if someone clicks on Mobile, they get to see what I've dug up, and if they click on Rasnake (who's from Virginia and not SC by the way), they'll see what I've dug up.
The fact that I'll have to learn coding suggests how unlikely this is......
... but those are the plans

2 comments:

Steven Rowe said...

Well my eyes glazed over when you said CMS, which may explain way too much!

What I would like is for me to go to a website, which very nicely has information on all the old (and current) universalist churches in the Carolinas (and the rest of the south) and information on the ministers. Biography and theology. What folks would have thought of as a book 20 years ago - but modern guys know that publishing a book like that only works if you teach a course in it! (hey that worked for a couple of my professors in college!)
Since nobody has written that book, or is doing that website; I thought I would at least put my stuff out there - otherwise, it will just sit in the bins and bookcases of my place for the next 20 years...

As for what I want the site to do..
(it's a secret, so dont tell everyone - but its to evangelize southern universalist history - to bring these stories back to our current age. To help see the work of folks in ages past. And if folks are inspired by their works and their words, so much the better. I also in a little way, want to fan the flames of Universalism today as well.

oops, not what you meant by the question? ;-)
the plan for a website is basicaly just brainstorming right now.....
but i will put aside the HTML for Dummies and look for CMS for dummies.....

Steven Rowe said...

Hmm, .... not exactly that I could find quickly.
That hadnt occured to me.
I see that sorta stuff for films, books, music, hobbies

looking around religion, i see this as close: http://www.cob-net.org/folder.htm#maps